EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

All, I'm finally back to my 800B restoration after a long break and I have a simple question.  What is the current consumption of this radio when it is off?  Mine is consuming around 180mA of current.  At first I thought something was wrong but when I look at he schematic it looks like transformer T 10 is always on.

Thanks,

Keith

Views: 135

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

180ma equates to approximately 20-watts due to leakage in the control transformer.  That is a little more than one would hope for but not unexpected in an old transformer.  My recommendation for use of the 800B is to always unplug when not in use or hook up to a switched outlet.

Norman

Thank you Norman!! I'll leave this radio unplugged when not in use.

I plan on doing your tone modifications soon.  I member of the antique radio forum sent me this note regarding your tone modifications "Picture your radio as modified a la Norm. Referring to his schematic, C32 is the coupling cap to V10's grid. Normally .05uF, Norm suggested increasing it to 0.1 . I noticed that both sides of C32 are at 0VDC. The left side goes to ground through a 100K resistor, the bass control, and another resistor. The right side goes through R41. With no voltage across it, C32 becomes unnecessary. If C32 is removed (replaced with a plain wire), R41 becomes redundant and can be removed too."

Do his comments make sense to you?  I'm not experienced enough to interpret schematics.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith:

Yes, there are a couple redundant parts.  I recognized this some time ago but never got around to updating the schematic or wiring diagram.

Norman

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service