EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

As most of you know, I've been gathering and analyzing Scott serial numbers for over 20 years. I have a couple requests....first, if you haven't sent me your serial numbers, please do. Also...if any of you have a confirmed date for a set/serial number, please send me that. There is a warranty tag on ebay at the moment, these are great, since they have the date and serial number on them. A letter with a date is also good confirmation. I would greatly appreciate any info you fellows can provide. I'll post more about serial numbers here in the future.

Kent

Views: 15471

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Troy -

Y-536 was probably built in Dec 1936. I base this on having a known date for Y-527, built Dec 7, 1936. While we don't know the distribution of dates and serial numbers, they seemed to work in bunches. Since your serial number is just 9 higher than the set built 12/7/36, I've got to believe your set was probably built in Dec as well. Scott pushed holiday orders and often got very backed up at that time of year. 

Kent

Oh - that other serial tag is very helpful too. Interesting that it is with your set, no telling how that came about. That is what I use to base my "manufactured date" for serial numbers (or original letters). I currently have just 53 firm dates out of almost 1700 serial numbers, so you're lucky I had a reference point on Y-527.

Kent

Kent King said:

Troy -

Y-536 was probably built in Dec 1936. I base this on having a known date for Y-527, built Dec 7, 1936. While we don't know the distribution of dates and serial numbers, they seemed to work in bunches. Since your serial number is just 9 higher than the set built 12/7/36, I've got to believe your set was probably built in Dec as well. Scott pushed holiday orders and often got very backed up at that time of year. 

Kent

Thank you Kent-

I like the prospect that my Allwave 23 was a Christmas present/purchase for someone in 1936.  Goes well with the season now, when I bought it myself.

Was serial # S 580 already in your database without the warranty tag information?  I have no idea where that radio might be today, but if it has turned up and you know who has it now, I would be willing to reunite the tag with the correct radio it is for if the serial number match can be confirmed by you.  If the present owner wished to remain anonymous, I would be willing to forward the tag through you.

-Troy

Troy -

I did not have S-580 either, so I have no idea on that set.

Kent

HI Kent,

In my quest for Sixteen parts, I ran across and bought a Philharmonic chassis. It is the 1937 pointer-dial version. Serial number is BB233. 

Your pointer dial version is 10 away from mine.I have BB223! Was listening to it today!

Kent, regarding Brad's Philly Ser# being so close to yours, is your's a pointer model?

Brad's is missing the dial glass and pointer but had signs it is a pointer model rather than an early  BOL dial.

It was Angelo that replied to Brad...we'll have to ask him about his Philly BB-223.

David C. Poland said:

Kent, regarding Brad's Philly Ser# being so close to yours, is your's a pointer model?

Brad's is missing the dial glass and pointer but had signs it is a pointer model rather than an early  BOL dial.

Brad & Angelo - I did not have either serial number, thanks. If either of you have any other Scott sets, please send in your serial numbers! Thanks!

Kent

Kent my mistake its BB226  !I miss read the serial number.

I just got my hands on, via eBay, a Scott Philharmonic Main Radio Chassis and its power supply chassis (no speaker or cabinet, however) with the serial number D-751.  It's one of the "pointer-dial" sets from Scott's first run of Philharmonics, and it was given a "West Coast Dial" - the seller on eBay from whom I bought it is located in California, where he said he found the radio at an estate sale. That is all I know about it, other than that it is now in my hands.  It is going to need an extensive restoration to bring it back to a good cosmetic and operational condition (see my post about this set elsewhere on this site). I hope you, Kent, can determine roughly when this set was made - my guess judging from others' comments is that it dates from 1937 or 1938.

Thanks...I had D-751. Many of the sets out there were reported as much as 30 years ago to JWF Puett. When I started collecting serial numbers, I began with June's list and added to it. It also didn't help that there were a number of mistakes in the list as well. Anyway...we now have 1751 serial numbers in the database.

Kent

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service