EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

Greetings,

I have had a Scott Z-350 in my possession since about 1968. It has no cabinet, and no labels or knobs. The speaker cone is torn. I replaced a capacitor back then, and was able to receive transmissions from around the world. It has been in storage since 1972. "It worked when I parked it". I am wondering what anyone can tell me about this set, the history of production, intended use, and perhaps relative worth. Thanks for your help!
Josh Gordon

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congrats on finding this web site.

From your serial number in the Z-series - yours should be a 23 tube Scott  High Fidelity Allwave dating from sometime during 1935 to 1938.  Normally, this model consisted of a 6 tube amp/power supply and a 17 tube receiver,  both chrome plated.  But there were a some factory custom variations with more tubes and features. The standard speaker is a Magnavox 12 inch pedestal in silver paint, and many had the optional pair of high fidelity tweeters.  

E. H. Scott custom built radios were  high end, leading edge technology in the 1930's. Designed for the home,  they were also purchased for  business, U S Navy ships, foreign embassies .....  and shipped world wide.  Scotts were well engineered and finely crafted, and highly regarded.  A customer ordered the radio which was then built and shipped in  a couple weeks or so. The customer could also order a cabinet from Scott from a catalog featuring as many as a dozen exclusive furniture grade cabinets priced from $20 to well over $100, or perhaps install it in a cabinet already owned, and some were custom installations by Scott or others.  There are more Scott radios than Scott cabinets.

Suggest you attach a couple photos to your reply for further identification and comment.

-Dave (OH)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service