The Fine Things are Always Hand Made
Here are two views of a cap I took from an AW15, originals in this particular chassis (there are several others in the chassis, all identical except values). I chassis I pulled parts from has had the caps replaced, this one was clearly more original. Later, Scott used a different manufacturer. These are easy to melt out and restuff, I've done this for several high end restorations in the past.
Sorry, bad grammar alert: The chassis I pulled the bathtubs from for you had its caps replaced, so they were not good examples....is what I meant to say.
Thanks for the cap pictures Kent, I have decided to produce a capacitor wrapper with the Scott logo pinched from Scott news as part of the new artwork,
in the past I have always thrown wax caps away, hence the request here for something to copy,
I know that Scott never made caps, but as I'm faking one anyway I thought this would be the way to go.
I have attached an a4 sized image for printing, the value can be changed easily in photoshop, the cap value and working voltage font is Helvetica bold.
Reducing the print to 25% is about the right size, this is then printed on brown parcel paper, coated the back with a light coat of undiluted pva glue, then rolled around a poly prop cap and coated with bees wax, I think the results are pretty good,
I keep all the original paper caps from Scott sets and restuff them for important/relevant sets. When I recapped my Scott Special about 15 years ago, every cap was replaced with a stuffed cap using ones from the set or others from comparable period Scott chassis. This is VERY nice, and I like the idea. A good way to tell it is a modern unit and still keep the original appearances.
That is an excellent result! Although Scott used parts supplied by a number of manufacturers, a nice touch would be to print the Scott Part Number on the wrapper as well as the value and voltage rating. The typical light brown parcel paper is a good choice. The various suppliers used several different types of paper, so the shades were not very consistent brand to brand.
For later service personnel, it might be a good idea to add a small note on the inside surface of the chassis bottom cover (if present) stating that the apparent "Wax" capacitors were rebuilt with modern film types and give the date of restoration.
I agree with incorporating a part number of some sort, a good idea would be to print the restoration date on the replacement cap.
My allwave only has two bathtub filters and not three, the first if has a choke bolted to the chassis where the bathtub should be, this looks to be original as there are no vacant holes in the chassis and there was signs of an axial cap from the 58 grids to ground.
This cap was cut out before the set came into my possession and thanks to your help with the circuit I am slowly putting things back as they should be, my next concern is the micamold caps, maybe lift one leg to test as I'm not sure if these are leaky.
I have found that there is no 600 ohm pot between the control grids and the detector,as per your circuit just a 500 ohm fixed resistor, looks like another one of Scotts running modifications.
i will keep you posted with the circuit.