EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

Sunday I'm looking at an AW12 1 dial with single speaker in an early Tasman- the short leg cabinet. Seller says the speaker cone is damaged. What is the going rate to re-cone something like that? That will be a factor in how much I offer him. It's also missing the escutcheon.

Views: 882

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The 12 inch Pedestal speaker (a special Jensen, by the way) became the standard speaker for the AW-12 about Spring 1933.  If your receiver cable is wired to use all 6 pins of the Jones plug, might be an early 1934 production.

Previously, starting mid 1932, Scott was using the electrically equivalent twin speakers ( by ROLA). Given your pedestal speaker, your Scott radio should have automatic volume control using a blue glass Arcturus Wunderlick tube for 2nd detector (3rd tube back on the left side). Some were converted to use a type 55 tube when the Wunderlick became unavailable, however they do turn up if you need one.

Dan;

canyon post a picture of the front panel of your aw12 I want to make sure I get the right bezel.

mike

Here's the front panel. And here's the blue tube in the detector position. The speaker cable has 6 wires connected inside the base of the speaker.

Here's where I am now with the speaker re-cone project. Old cone has been removed and the frame was scraped clean of old material. The voice coil and spider were removed. I cleaned the magnet gap. The voice coil tests 3.8 ohms dcr. I trimmed the old cone material from the voice coil former taking care to leave the former intact. I tested the VC fit in the gap and inserted some plastic strips that I use when I refoam woofers. When I tested the new cone for size I found it slightly too tall. I may have to trim it slightly to fit. I realized I didn't have 12" gaskets so I ordered them today. I haven't glued or attached anything yet.

Dan;

it looks like your basket is a little shorter than mine, Norman Braithwaite did make a comment about this in another post,

the eBay guy you got this from does have a shorter model,

I think that you will find if you remove too much from voice coil end of the cone the hole will be too big, maybe I'm stating the obvious here

it looks like you need to reduce the cone height by a quarter inch or so, is your spider flat and in its neutral (relaxed) position.

mike

Dan;

it has just occurred to me that you are fitting the new cone on top of the old, this will add height to your existing setup, 

you may have to buy a shorter cone because of this.

mike

AW-12's, after the first month or two, went to a six pin speaker socket and a 6 pin speaker cable plug.  This was the upgrade to the twin speakers (by Rola) mid 1932 . The upgrade to the electrically equivalent  Pedestal 12 inch speaker (a special Jensen) occurred about Spring 1933. 

Regarding the 6 pin Jones plug with a 6 wire cable with 6 wires in use is fairly late production AW-12 - like mine.

The 6 th set cable wire reflects a revised audio path to the amp. The B+ to the the plate of the 2nd AF 56 tube previously carried the audio back to the amp and pin 6 was unused. But however (like mine) the 6 th wire takes the audio to an added heavy transformer sized coil and on to a separate wire to pin #6 back directly  to  the interstage transformer in the amp.  Accordingly, amp is wired this way is not compatible with earlier production AW-12's.

Search on this site for the Corby Dawson thread of about May 2012, for his diagram of this version AW-12.

Yet another reason to seek complete sets. After all, Scott was a custom set builder, making running changes.

Yes, I did find a shorter cone that I believe will work. It will be here Friday or Saturday. I'll keep the others for future projects.

mike hadley said:

Dan;

it has just occurred to me that you are fitting the new cone on top of the old, this will add height to your existing setup, 

you may have to buy a shorter cone because of this.

mike

I looked at that thread. It sounds like I have the same version. This photo of the tuner chassis shows the transformer in question.

David C. Poland said:

AW-12's, after the first month or two, went to a six pin speaker socket and a 6 pin speaker cable plug.  This was the upgrade to the twin speakers (by Rola) mid 1932 . The upgrade to the electrically equivalent  Pedestal 12 inch speaker (a special Jensen) occurred about Spring 1933. 

Regarding the 6 pin Jones plug with a 6 wire cable with 6 wires in use is fairly late production AW-12 - like mine.

The 6 th set cable wire reflects a revised audio path to the amp. The B+ to the the plate of the 2nd AF 56 tube previously carried the audio back to the amp and pin 6 was unused. But however (like mine) the 6 th wire takes the audio to an added heavy transformer sized coil and on to a separate wire to pin #6 back directly  to  the interstage transformer in the amp.  Accordingly, amp is wired this way is not compatible with earlier production AW-12's.

Search on this site for the Corby Dawson thread of about May 2012, for his diagram of this version AW-12.

Yet another reason to seek complete sets. After all, Scott was a custom set builder, making running changes.

No, but it looks a lot like it.  The late version had an additional transformer like coil mounted  INSIDE the receiver chassis, below the receiver AF section.

Looks like a very nice receiver chassis. Are any of the other tubes blue glass Arcturus tubes? It appears that the AW-12 DELUXE with AVC model radios were shipped with Arcturus tubes. They do look nice with the chrome.

The chrome is pretty good on this one. The chassis came with a couple of blue 56s, a Wunderlich,a clear 58 Arcturus and a mix of replacements. a clear 58 and a mix of replacements.

How about this transformer mounted under the audio section?

David C. Poland said:

No, but it looks a lot like it.  The late version had an additional transformer like coil mounted  INSIDE the receiver chassis, below the receiver AF section.

Looks like a very nice receiver chassis. Are any of the other tubes blue glass Arcturus tubes? It appears that the AW-12 DELUXE with AVC model radios were shipped with Arcturus tubes. They do look nice with the chrome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service