EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

Hello:

Here are some photos of the "mini" quaranta I came across a few weeks ago.  It is all there but needs some restoration..the speaker pedestal is steel with a "hammered" silver paint on it.

Eric

Views: 562

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Quite a find and in great condition. Should clean up nicely

Thom

Thanks Thom!

I have the amp section out right now and am trying to clean it up...here is what it looks like..

Eric

Attachments:

Nice find. Looks complete, and in the high end Ravinia Grande cabinet, too

- Dave

Eric:

One thought on cleaning the cabinet. A friend of mine, who deals in antiques, suggested I use neutral KIWI shoe polish on the finish. I tried a little on the inside of the lid. It took off the dirt and left a nice shine. I have since done the entire cabinet  and the result is wonderful. It leaves a nice muted shine that you can see yourself in. I used old cotton tube socks to apply and rub out the polish. Not sure  what you should use on your power supply chassis. 

Thom

A great find-Is the woofer a 12" or bigger ??

It sure seems bigger than a 12" in the photos compared to the tweeters.

Thank you for sharing the photos.

Bruce

Bruce:

The woofer is 15" in dia. and seems to be OK.  That was a neat tip on the KIWI shoe polish that Thom came up with.  I never heard of using it for cabinet restoration. I do have a hole in the side grille cloth where a varmint chewed his way in..

Eric

Attachments:

Great find Eric!

We have an early Phil in the Ravinia. It sure makes everything else look like small potatoes.

best of luck, Bill

Eric:

That is a great find!  Some AW-27 receivers use the cast basket version of the Magnavox 15-inch pedestal speaker and others use the stamped basket version.  The cast basket version is very rare and I suspect that it was used on the earlier versions of the AW-27.  Another product you may consider for cleaning, repairing, and polishing the finish is a formula consisting of 1/3 boiled linseed oil, 1/3 gum turpentine, and 1/3 white vinegar.  Shake well and wipe on with a small piece of cotton cloth then wipe excess off after 15-minutes or so.  It is a very old formula that restores and seals the finish without adding color or evaporating as some oils do.

Norman

Thanks for all the tips!  I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot of questions for you all when I get into it more!

Eric 

Eric:

I forgot to inform you that the record changer in your Scott is a Garrard model RC-1 capable of playing up to ten 10-inch records or eight 12-inch records (no intermix like the Garrard RC-1A).  This changer is also very rare.  The RC-1 employes pot metal for a number of parts and therefore may require some machine work to restore but pot metal is not nearly as much of a problem in the RC-1 as in the later Garrard models.  The RC-1 in my AW-27/Ravinia did not require any machine work.

Norman

Norman:

Thanks for the info on the changer...I have the original service manual that came with it (from Garrard).  I got a box of vintage needles still in the original packages. (KACTI needles.."the only needle under which the record actually improves with use")   There was plenty of grease on it underneath as it all dropped down on the amp section.  Maybe this protected the chrome a bit!

Wish it would have had some original paperwork on the radio...

Eric

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service