EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

I am having a hard time sourcing a replacement for one of the capacitors in my 16A. Any help would be appreciated. 

it’s a 4uf 600v can type with a screw base to mount it. I can leave it in the chassis for aesthetics and replace it with a different capacitor underneath, but all I have found in the same spec is a polypropylene film capacitor. Can I use that?  any other ideas would be great. This one is measuring 8.4uf. It’s bad. 

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is a paper in oil capacitor with higher leakage current than wax-paper capacitors being normal.  This will cause some capacitance meters to read high.  It is most likely good.  If voltages are as expected and the capacitor does not get hot, I would continue to use it.

Norman

Thank you Norman! That’s great news! I have no reason to believe it’s bad other than my meter. I’m testing and replacing all the small caps and resistors (most of the resistors are 15-20% out of spec). Figured I would check this one also. But the amp was working and did sound good. 

Norman S Braithwaite said:

That is a paper in oil capacitor with higher leakage current than wax-paper capacitors being normal.  This will cause some capacitance meters to read high.  It is most likely good.  If voltages are as expected and the capacitor does not get hot, I would continue to use it.

Norman

FYI - that metal can can be polished up to look almost like chrome. I use Mother's Mag polish. Auto parts dept along with car wax products.

Good to know. Thank you 

David C. Poland said:

FYI - that metal can can be polished up to look almost like chrome. I use Mother's Mag polish. Auto parts dept along with car wax products.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service