EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

Did E, H. Scott hand sign letters to customers?

I recently purchased an interesting letter from Mr. Scott to a customer. It includes the original envelope dated Feb. 25, 1938. I assume such a letter went out to many customers at the same time.

Does anyone know if these letters were individually signed or was an autopen of some sort used?

A copy of the letter is attached.

Views: 151

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cover letters for promotional literature usually has a rubber stamp signature.  The signature on your letter appears to be an original signature.

Norman 

Thanks, Norman.

I did notice that it was not exactly the same as the signature seen

in magazine advertisements.

It’s always good to hear from our West Coast Scott historian!

Norman S Braithwaite said:

Cover letters for promotional literature usually has a rubber stamp signature.  The signature on your letter appears to be an original signature.

Norman 

A number of years ago, I analyzed over a hundred examples I have in my archive. I identified about 7 or maybe 8 different stamped signatures used over the years. I suspect this is one of the stamps. Here's the twist - this isn't really a personal letter to the owner, it is one of a "canned" series of letters sent after you purchased a set. Expecting users would not read the manual, Scott sent a series of letters describing the various controls and operation of the set. This is the 7th letter in the series for the model 16. Note the signature mark: "EHS:SG". The SG stands for Sixteen, letter G (7). The letters always have the owner name on them, but are almost always a stamp signed letter. I find this one very interesting, as it is the first one I've seen for a model 16. I have complete sets for the AW23, Phantom and Philharmonic, but I haven't seen even one of the "new owner" letters for the 16. Great find. 

Kent

Kent … Interesting analysis. It is a neat letter even though the signature may be stamped.

Complete sets! You must have been collecting these letters for some time.

I like having something like this to go along with the Scott radios (no 16 here, just a Philharmonic and an Allwave Deluxe).

Thanks!

Ken -

Can you send me a scan of the letter, or a really nice photo image? I'd like to add this to my archive. 

SOMEDAY (really folks!), I'm going to scan in a lot of the material I have and create an online, searchable library.

Kent

Ken Carr said:

Kent … Interesting analysis. It is a neat letter even though the signature may be stamped.

I like having something like this to go along with the Scott radios (no 16 here, just a Philharmonic and an Allwave Deluxe).

Thanks!

Oh, I've been focused on Scott collecting since the late 80s, about 30 years now. - Kent

Kent King said:

Ken -

Can you send me a scan of the letter, or a really nice photo image? I'd like to add this to my archive. 

SOMEDAY (really folks!), I'm going to scan in a lot of the material I have and create an online, searchable library.

Kent

Ken Carr said:

Thanks!

Ken & all - I located the intro letter series for the Phantom Deluxe tonight and scanned it in. It is too large to attach here, but is available in the Info Archive > Set Folders > Phantom. Look for Phantom-Deluxe-Intro-Letters-1939.pdf. Note the letter marks: EHS:PDA through EHS:PDG. PD is Phantom Deluxe, similar to the S on your letter. PH is the Philharmonic prefix, I don't recall the exact mark for the AW23. Note how these letters go to all the controls and use of the set. I'm still fascinated with your letter because it is the first I've had confirmation of a series for the Sixteen. Thanks for posting it!

Kent

Kent,

I will make a high res. scan of the letter and envelope soon. It will be sent to you.

Kent King said:

Ken & all - I located the intro letter series for the Phantom Deluxe tonight and scanned it in. It is too large to attach here, but is available in the Info Archive > Set Folders > Phantom. Look for Phantom-Deluxe-Intro-Letters-1939.pdf. Note the letter marks: EHS:PDA through EHS:PDG. PD is Phantom Deluxe, similar to the S on your letter. PH is the Philharmonic prefix, I don't recall the exact mark for the AW23. Note how these letters go to all the controls and use of the set. I'm still fascinated with your letter because it is the first I've had confirmation of a series for the Sixteen. Thanks for posting it!

Kent

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service