EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

First I'll introduce myself. I'm from N.E. Wisconsin and yes, a Packers fan (and ticket-holder).

I've been collecting old radios and vintage audio gear for nigh on 30 years. have several Atwater-Kent's, Crosley's, a stack of Hallicrafters, and lotsa others. I usually acquire the goods from local thrifts, garage sales, and occassionally Craigslist. Thankfully a limited income keeps me from over-flowing!

A week ago I acquired an E.H. Scott SuperXII (12) from a guy on Craigslist for $100. It's complete with pretty good chrome. No speaker though. And no cabinet-I'll use it as is-it's gorgeous! It's my first one, and I want to "treat her right".

I already have the schematic (I have a complete set of Rider's). Also the test equipment to troubleshoot and align it. I do have some questions for you folks (seems there's not a lot of info out there about these things).

1. What do you use to clean the chrome?

2. Is the associated speaker a model 302? Anyone have one for sale? Can other model speakers be used?

3. Any "tricks" I should know?

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John:

Welcome!  I use Simichrome for cleaning chrome after blowing off dust and debris.  I do not recommend any abrasives for cleaning chrome unless it is pretty bad to start with.  The original speaker used with the Super XII is a 12-inch Magnavox speaker that was used with several models.  These turn up for sale on a regular basis and they command prices ranging from around $100 to $200.  Generally if the plug on the end of the speaker is correct for your radio, it is likely to work.  The speaker should be checked thoroughly to make sure, however.

Norman

FYI - Scott made a couple of 12 tubes sets - early 1930's and again late 1930's.

The Super XII is a late 1930's 12 tube radio including a 'magic" eye tube and 6V6 output tubes,  with a round back dial.. Early version was a single chassis model and 4 controls plus dial knobs.. The later version added a separate little chassis to hold the power transformer and rectifier and remaining 11 tubes on the tuner. The final version had 6 controls plus dial knobs. Some versions had an additional red band for TV audio.  I believe the Magnavox speaker for the Super XII was  unique to the Super XII because it was a only a 5 wire speaker with a simple field coil, whereas other late 1930's Scott speakers (For the Sixteen, Phantoms, Masterpiece ...) had more pins and a more complex set of field coils.

The early 1930's 12 tube Scotts  of 1931 to mid-1934 included a 9 tube tuner and 3 tube power supply with a pair of 45 output tubes, and a little dial window. A progression of Rola speakers and finally a 12 inch Jensen pedestal speaker. 

-Good luck.  - Dave Poland

John -

I'll echo the "welcome" to the group. Can you tell me the serial number on your set? With that, I may be able to provide some information about when it was built. Good luck!

Kent

Hey guys-thanks for the welcome!

Serial number is 00-214. It has all 12 tubes on one chassis.

I will keep checking ebay and with a couple friends I have who operate antique stores for a speaker. I really don't want to operate it without one.

I haven't really delved into it yet-too much to do and too may other hobbies!

John -

Thanks....look closely at the serial number....that will be a QQ not an OO. Scott didn't use O or I (probably too easily confused with 0 and 1...). There are a number of Super XII sets in the QQ series however.

Kent

Upon magnified review-yes, they do appear to be Q's! So it would be QQ-214. All 12 tubes on one chassis. On the back are connections for an external phonograph, a fuse, 5-pin speaker connector, and connections for 2 antennas and a ground. 5 controls on the front, plus 2 posts I assume are for cabinet mounting. Appreciate your efforts!

Kent King said:

John -

Thanks....look closely at the serial number....that will be a QQ not an OO. Scott didn't use O or I (probably too easily confused with 0 and 1...). There are a number of Super XII sets in the QQ series however.

Kent

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service