EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

I just got into this fascinating hobby.  Just redid a couple of radios I grew up with - a Majestic 1941, and Philco Model14 - 1933, chassis only. Now working on a Philco 96, 1930.  I decided I needed a real radio and found a Scott 16 in an Acousticraft cabinet.  It's not in the greatest shape as there is a fair amount of chrome damage and it is missing a few parts.  The receiver, power supply and speaker are intact and fairly unmolested, but I need knobs, the large dial pointer and a replacement plastic dial cover.  Are there reproductions of these parts?  Or, in particular, does anyone have a pointer they might want to sell?  I guess I can live with non original knobs and I think I could vacuum form a new dial cover.  I couldn't find anything at Radio Daze.

This project will be on the back burner for awhile, especially as I research dealing with the rust areas in the chrome.  Not sure I want to completely strip the chassis and have it re-plated.  I guess it depends on what it's value might be completely restored.

I've done a little research on the 16 in the forum's archives.  I'm not really sure of what I've got. I don't know how popular the 16 was or how it performed compared to the other Scott models.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Views: 2350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have several Walsco brand # 1119 belts in my GC box of belts.

Appear to be equal to the GC #119 above. Same specs.

Seems pretty flexible still. Looks just like the GC brand in construction. 

Want to try it?

Will it work without a belt tensioner? Mine has been removed. If so, yes. 

David C. Poland said:

I have several Walsco brand # 1119 belts in my GC box of belts.

Appear to be equal to the GC #119 above. Same specs.

Seems pretty flexible still. Looks just like the GC brand in construction. 

Want to try it?

I received my selection of O-rings from Grainger today. I first tried ONE 1/16 x 2 5/8". It stayed on the pulleys but slipped. So I added a two more. They are actually about 0.068" in diameter, so three is close to 1/4". These stay on the pulleys and do not slip. Actually I think 2 may work. While this solution works, the small stretch of the O-rings makes critical tuning of short wave tricky, but it can be done. When tuning knob motion stops and tension is released, the stretch of the belt will move the tuning capacitor pulley a small amount further (over-run). If one knows this will happen one can quickly learn to compensate.

The Grainger item number is 41UJ87, O-Ring, Buna N, Dash 038, 2 5/8 (pack of 10) $1.84. I have left-overs if anyone wants them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service