EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

Greetings,

I received an Allwave 23 as a gift about 30 years ago. The set has the high frequency speakers as well as the volume range expander unit. It is the 7 knob arrangement.

I had capacitors replaced and an alignment performed about 15 years ago and then life got in the way.

I am very happy to have just found this site as I am enjoying the Scott again. The set is not without issues. The chrome is less than perfect, but presentable. It's missing the dial escutcheon as well as those for the Radio/phono and Beat oscillator (I actually don't if there were escutcheons for the radio/phono and beat oscillator knobs as the front panel is also missing), and the wave change escutcheon.

As for knobs, I am missing the wave change lever and the tuning knob and one of the small knobs for either the radio-phono or bear oscillator switch (I have only 1).

When I first got the radio, it was missing the cabinet and I had grand plans to build one (time again got in the way). I'm a little wiser now and would like to buy an original.

So now I would like to complete this Scott and find missing knobs, escutcheons and a cabinet! Not too much to ask :-).

I'm wondering if anyone might either have some of my missing parts for sale, or suggestions for sources. Is there a drawing available for drilling and cutting of the front panel?

The serial number for this radio is A-741 and I have no idea of it's providence. 

Views: 780

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to this Scott site. The archive section at the top will take you to some folders, one of which is Cabinets. 

Another folder is Set Folders which includes an owners instruction manual for your AW-23 on how to use it.

Scott offered a number of different cabinets for an AW-23. The most commonly seen is the TASMAN.

Do you need a close up photo of the correct knob and escutcheon set?

Thank you for the welcome!

I found the archive section and was pleasantly surprised as to the amount of information that it contained. 

I already have 4 of the escutcheons (see photo), I believe that they are correct as far as they go. On the 7 knob sets, were there escutcheons for the radio-phono and beat oscillator switches, or were they unmarked? If they were not escutcheoned, then all I need is the band selector escutcheon.

The knobs that I have are wood (walnut I believe with a lighter wood center (see photo). upon re-examination, it appears that I only need one of the small wooden knobs (with the facetted sides) and the band selector knob.

As for the cabinet, I appreciate most, if not all styles offered with the Scott.

I am anxious to get this set complete and to start enjoying listening to what it can do.

Thanks,

Fran

Fran;

Welcome to the Scott site, loads of information and helpful people here,

Would you like me to make you a couple of bezels, I can provide the tuning window and the channel selector bezels, I don't  have the radio/phono one that's on your list at the moment.

I use the process mentioned here,

http://ehscott.ning.com/forum/topics/repro-parts?commentId=3925821%...

Mike

Mike,
Thank you for providing the link to your duplication process. It is fascinating and I am impressed with the results! And yes, I would be most happy if you could make reproductions of the tuning window and band select bezels. I would be very grateful. Please provide me with the specifics necessary to get the process started.

I am not sure if the radio-phono and beat oscillator switches had bezels. A look at the cover of the instruction manual did not provide a definitive answer. I suppose that perusal of the photo section may provide an answer. Also, I have not as yet thought about a bezel for the volume expander! All in good time.
Thank you again.
Fran

Fran;

from the photo it looks like your escutcheons are gold, can you please confirm?

Mike

Hi Mike,

No, the escutcheons are the copper finish variety.

Fran

mike hadley said:

Fran;

from the photo it looks like your escutcheons are gold, can you please confirm?

Mike

Interesting speaker design. My early all wave 23 has two sockets on the base for the tweeters. Is this one a later version that was supplied when  ordered with the tweeter option?

Thom

That is a very good question, and one that I do not have the answer for. 

The tweeters are the later typeThe red painted screw head matches up with a red dot on the tweeter plug on 1 of the tweeters so they will be correctly identified and correctly installed (so I am told)

The volume expander is hard wired into the radio chassis. I have no idea if this was a later modification or originally done at the factory.

You have a later version 7 knob AW-23 - based on the the high serial number and presence of the micrometer dial suggesting late 1936 or 1937. The proper dial escutcheon has a small magnifying lens to view the white vernier cylinder. You probable have TWO antenna posts in addition to the ground post. No escutcheon was supplied to the 2 small knobs for BFO and radio-phono.

I have not seen that speaker variation. The normal 12 inch pedestal speaker for an AW-23 has two 5 pin sockets on the base facing up, one on each side of the pedestal base. The socket use depends on whether the optional tweeters are used. But your tweeters are hard wired. I wonder if you have a speaker intended for remote use and was repurposed as the main speaker. I suspect your speaker does not have the large ceramic power resistor and therefore your field coil tweeters MUST be connected in order to provide the negative bias for the output tubes filaments.

So carefully trace out the amp and speaker wiring compared to the Scott diagram to understand what you have before ever powering it up. And at a minimum replace the filter capacitors on the AMP, leaving the originals for appearance sake.

The 12-inch Magnavox pedestal speaker without sockets was used in the Quaranta and possibly as accessory speakers (source of field coil current for an accessory speaker not known, they might have been PM as is the case for the Kenilworth accessory speaker).  I would not be surprised if EH Scott Radio Laboratories used the extra Quaranta 12-inch speakers in some of the last AW-23 sets.  If so, the Quaranta field coil would have been replaced with a standard AW-23 field coil and the tweeters hard wired as is the case for your set.

Norman

Thank you Mr. Poland and Mr. Braithwaite,

Here are some additional pics of the speaker. The Wire wound resister seems to have had a wire (green) added/replaced at sometime before my ownership (1988 I believe). The radio did not come with the dial bezel.

Fran Mayer

2 more views. It appears that the power resister is not connected

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service