EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

I'm working on my first Scott.  I am looking for a speaker for what I think is a Phantom.  I can't find any reference to a model number, but the serial is 329.  It has the same tube layout as the Phantom Deluxe, but no FM.  The speaker that came along with it has a 7 pin plug similar to the chassis plug that connects to the power supply.  The speaker socket on the PS/Amp has an octal configuration similar to a vacuum tube socket. Checking the speaker with an ohmmeter, it doesn't seem to have the same electrical configuration as the speaker for the deluxe.  

There is a number on the back of the speaker A12 C3119 2597.  Anyone know if this is the proper speaker for the deluxe?  

My unit came without the PS/Amp.  Bought one on e-bay that seems to match the chassis except for the speaker.  On further inspection, It looks like the tubes are slightly different from the deluxe Power supply.  Second Audio is a pair of 6j5s.  Third audio is 6V6s instead of 6L6s.  Rectifiers are a pair of 5V4s instead of 5U4s.  Did I buy the wrong PS/Amp for this set?  Can I adapt it to be used with the deluxe?  if not, anybody got one to Trade?  Thanks

Tom

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tom -

Lots going on here but I am sure we can get it sorted out. First, I've got a bunch of things for Phantoms, so we can probably get you going. Let's take things one issue at a time:

1. I need the prefix (two letter) on the serial number. The number alone means nothing. How many tubes are on the tuner, counting the eye tube? 20?

2. The number you gave for the speaker is a valid number for a Phantom. So it is probably the right speaker for this set.

3. I say probably, because there are a variety of power supplies for Phantoms, and at least two different speaker configs. 

Can you post pics of all 3 items (tuner/amp/speaker) showing the cables/plugs and sockets for each?

As I said, I'm fairly confident I can help - I have a number of Phantom chassis here, and several power supplies, so I am very hopeful we can get you the right components.

Kent 

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, the SN is CC-329.  It has 14 tubes including the eye.  

working on getting pictures.  What side(s) would be most useful to you?  

Thanks

Tom

Tom -

Thanks...that helps a bit. 14 plus 6 on the amp give us a 20 tube Phantom Deluxe for sure. For the pics, I'd like to see the connectors...so the cables from the tuner, the side of the amp with the sockets and the cable end from the speaker. That will help determine what parts you have/need...

Kent

20230522_131431.jpg20230522_131440.jpg20230522_131529.jpg20230522_131534.jpg20230522_131552.jpg20230522_131618.jpg20230522_131643.jpgOK, Kent, Here are the pictures.  Hope they come through.  I keep getting an error message when I try to atach.

Kent,

Somehow the photos would not upload to the post.  I was able to upload to my photos.  Can you see them there or must I link them somehow to a post?  Thanks

Tom

Tom -

This is great, you got all the pieces I wanted to see. So...the bad news first: the amp you bought is for the early, 19 tube Phantom. It will still work with the tuner, but will not work with the speaker you have. So we have two options: (1) find (and maybe swap) for the correct later amp; or (2) find the Phantom speaker with the octal connector and perhaps swap speakers. 

I need to get out to my shop and see what I have in for Phantom amps and speakers. I will drop you a note tomorrow evening, after work. I'm pretty sure I can help in one direction or the other.

Kent

Thanks a lot Kent.  If you have what I need I'd be glad to trade and pay shipping both ways.

Tom -

Not good news I am afraid - I do not have an extra Phantom amp like you need. As you guessed, you have the wrong amp for the tuner and speaker you have. The amp you seek is longer, and will use 5U4s, 6J5s and 6L6 outputs. If I do find one, I will gladly trade for the amp you have, I have a tuner for that amp. I will be watching for one. 

Sorry I didn't have better news.

Kent

FYI - the correct amp is like eBay item number:285138277725.

His price is way high for such a rough example, in my opinion.

Notable is:

- two 6J5 drivers next to the two 6L6 output tubes (and two rectifiers by the power transformer)

- the 3 round sockets for speaker, set plug and the 4 pin plug for feeding AC to the power switch on the volume control. (only on a remote control receiver then uses the other 2 pins for feeding 24 volts to the motors for dial and volume - which you don't care about).

- underside view, note wiring for the 6J5 is noticeably different than for the 6L6s.

- Be aware, late production 1941 Phantom Deluxe amps had Jones Sockets instead of the round sockets, and trying to adapt to the the other would be a really big prohibitive challenge.

Be aware - Someone else is listed a Scott amp claiming to be a Phantom Deluxe amp, but it is a Philharmonic amp (has the four 6L6s in a quad) - seller is just ignorant and ignored my email to him. His amp is a near rust bucket and appears hacked with that strange transformer hung on the end.

If I could find the correct speaker for that amp. could the amp I have be modified to work with the radio I have?  

Kent King said:

Tom -

Not good news I am afraid - I do not have an extra Phantom amp like you need. As you guessed, you have the wrong amp for the tuner and speaker you have. The amp you seek is longer, and will use 5U4s, 6J5s and 6L6 outputs. If I do find one, I will gladly trade for the amp you have, I have a tuner for that amp. I will be watching for one. 

Sorry I didn't have better news.

Kent

I looked at that item and it says it's for the Deluxe with FM.  Don't know if it would work with my AM/SW only chassis.

David C. Poland said:

FYI - the correct amp is like eBay item number:285138277725.

His price is way high for such a rough example, in my opinion.

Notable is:

- two 6J5 drivers next to the two 6L6 output tubes (and two rectifiers by the power transformer)

- the 3 round sockets for speaker, set plug and the 4 pin plug for feeding AC to the power switch on the volume control. (only on a remote control receiver then uses the other 2 pins for feeding 24 volts to the motors for dial and volume - which you don't care about).

- underside view, note wiring for the 6J5 is noticeably different than for the 6L6s.

- Be aware, late production 1941 Phantom Deluxe amps had Jones Sockets instead of the round sockets, and trying to adapt to the the other would be a really big prohibitive challenge.

Be aware - Someone else is listed a Scott amp claiming to be a Phantom Deluxe amp, but it is a Philharmonic amp (has the four 6L6s in a quad) - seller is just ignorant and ignored my email to him. His amp is a near rust bucket and appears hacked with that strange transformer hung on the end.

The Phantom Deluxe was never offered with FM.  Only the AM-FM Phantom was offered with FM.

Norman

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service