EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

Philharmonic FM Gothic Grande for sale.

I have a restored radio that customer couldn't take, with FM converter, modern phono and aux input. Good chrome, cabinet. Can be brought to K-town. Contact me for details.

thanks, Bill

Views: 196

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks nice, and also I see it has the optional 4 unit Scott hi-fi speaker system with crossover and 15 inch woofer.

My best sounding Scott. That's why the client wanted a different turntable.

David,

This is an FM set.  Are there any known original examples that did not have the 4 piece setup?  After seeing enough of these, I figured that the 4 piece setup was standard with the FM sets.  The only FM sets I have seen with the pedestal speaker are obviously "assembled" later in life.  Just asking for my curiosity. 

David C. Poland said:

Looks nice, and also I see it has the optional 4 unit Scott hi-fi speaker system with crossover and 15 inch woofer.

A good question Scott...even the two FM Phantoms I've found in cabinets had the 4-speaker setup. I suspect you may be right...I'll go back through my sales brochures to see if they say anything about it.

Kent

Scott,

I commented on yours having the optional speaker system figuring it an important detail for those less familiar with the Scott speaker variations.

I Agree, the few FM Scotts I have seen do sport the optional speaker system.

I have 3 FM Philly price lists from 1940 & 41. All 3 just state "... Philharmonic 15" speaker." (singular)

These price lists included the FM Phantom Deluxe model which stated a 12" speaker.  

No mention of the optional multi unit speaker system on any of these price lists.

(However, I briefly had an FM Phantom Deluxe using Jones plugs, which had the 15 inch speaker and field coil tweeters with the crossover with rectifier. Came from the big Victorian credenza cabinet.)

My 1941 Scott Laureate (FM,AM,SW) price list only lists a 12 inch speaker, although mine has the 15 inch coax with field coil tweeter and crossover with rectifier. I use an outboard digital frequency shifter for modern FM, and the set grifts for a good 30 minutes while it warms up. How is your FM Philly for frequency stability.

Maybe Scott just always included the optional speaker system on the FM sets, needed to take advantage of the high fidelity FM broadcasts in the few cities that had the prewar FM transmissions.

And evidently supplied the 15 inch speaker, instead of 12 inch, for an FM Phantom Deluxe is a larger cabinet.

I wanted to give a shout out to Kent for going the extra mile and the guys from MAARC including Joe Koester who helped with the Gothic Grande transfer at K-town. I'm sure it will be smooth sailing for the rest of the trip to it's new home. My back is healing nicely for the next monster move ;)

Can't thank you enough, Bill

It is great that the hobby has such solid folks willing to help out a fellow collector on the other side of the country. I am looking forward to getting the set home, safe and sound. Until then, it is in great hands.

John

Bill Liers said:

I wanted to give a shout out to Kent for going the extra mile and the guys from MAARC including Joe Koester who helped with the Gothic Grande transfer at K-town. I'm sure it will be smooth sailing for the rest of the trip to it's new home. My back is healing nicely for the next monster move ;)

Can't thank you enough, Bill

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service