EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

Scott Philharmonic output transformer question

Riders 14-49  (photo attached) shows the output transformer going to the large speaker for a Scott Philharmonic.

The tapped primary is labeled and it looks like the two sections are 1000 ohms and maybe500 or 800 ohms (very difficult to read on schematic).    I read about 166 ohms across the full primary of the output transformer.   The numbers on the schematic seem very high to me given there are two pair of pp

6L6 tubes in the output.   I measured the field coil and output transformer numbers at the speaker plug which was disconnected from the set.

Could anyone comment on this please.

Thanks,

mark

Views: 131

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what did your field coil measure in ohms?  i am running my philharmonic with a jukebox speaker with 1000 ohm field coil. i used a jukebox output transformer, don't know the resistance on it. they work and sound good with voltage measurements taken in the amp within tolerance, in fact may be closer than the original speaker system produced. the field coil is equal at 500 ohms each side of center tap. good luck and enjoy your radio, jimmie ashabraner

My field coil reads about 910 ohms which is close to what is on the schematic.  It is tapped near the center of the coil.

What I am questioning is the resistance of the output  transformer primary.  The schematic shows one section of 1000 ohms and one of several hundred ohms (hard to read on the schematic) but my primary reads much lower.

Mark

i think they should be the same or close as this is a push pull parallel 6L6  setup on the philharmonic, that is why i used a jukebox output transformer as i work with them a lot restoring jukeboxes. i did not get a speaker with my radio, this being the reason i had to make a setup as i have not found an original philharmonic speaker, thanks jimmie

Mark Kaplan said:

My field coil reads about 910 ohms which is close to what is on the schematic.  It is tapped near the center of the coil.

What I am questioning is the resistance of the output  transformer primary.  The schematic shows one section of 1000 ohms and one of several hundred ohms (hard to read on the schematic) but my primary reads much lower.

Mark

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service