EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

As most of you know, I've been gathering and analyzing Scott serial numbers for over 20 years. I have a couple requests....first, if you haven't sent me your serial numbers, please do. Also...if any of you have a confirmed date for a set/serial number, please send me that. There is a warranty tag on ebay at the moment, these are great, since they have the date and serial number on them. A letter with a date is also good confirmation. I would greatly appreciate any info you fellows can provide. I'll post more about serial numbers here in the future.

Kent

Views: 15471

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kent: here are 2 serial# from recent arrivals to my stuff. Model 800B in Moderene cabinet. Ser# 800 5754. Dynamic noise  supresser ser.# 1324   also  All wave 15 (late)  Ser#  R 302. hope this helps. Norman W

I just acquired an allwave 15 in a Waverly cabinet.  The serial number is A-258.  Is that one new?  Came from the estate of a former college history professor who lived in Ferndale, MI.

Thanks...and yes, it is a "new" serial number. That will be a very early AW15, spring of 1934. Do you have any other history on it? What you have is really great! Nice set, if you need anything, please let me know, I have a number of "parts" AW15 sets.

Kent

The former owner's name was Dale Evans, just like Mrs. Roy Rogers.  He collected radios, but was not an active member of any hobby organizations as far as I know.  That's all I know about it.

The Scott doesn't seem to have a BFO, although there's a plug in the front panel where the button ought to be.

I haven't had much time to examine it.  Do you know for sure whether it would have a Wunderlich tube for a second detector or not?

The set seems to have been rather sloppily recapped but does work.  As far as I can see, the only thing it needs is the clear window for the tuning dial.

Sorry I appended my posting to another instead of starting a new one.

DMV

No BFO? Are you sure it is an AW15? 

Regarding the WUnderlich - the serial number would have me suspect it should have a Wunderlich detector. If it ever went back to the factory, they often changed the circuit slightly for the 55, so it is impossible to say today. It may also have a 55 with the "fix wire" on it in the socket - we know Scott sent those to customers as a fix as late as the 1940s. I'd be interesting in a few pics of the chassis and "rear" views. Thanks!

Kent

Well now, since you brought up Dale Evans and Roy Rogers .... they we were proud E.H. Scott owners. Here's Roy and son Dusty in the living room infront of their Scott 800.

Dave Vincent said:

The former owner's name was Dale Evans, just like Mrs. Roy Rogers.  He collected radios, but was not an active member of any hobby organizations as far as I know.  That's all I know about it.

The Scott doesn't seem to have a BFO, although there's a plug in the front panel where the button ought to be.

I haven't had much time to examine it.  Do you know for sure whether it would have a Wunderlich tube for a second detector or not?

The set seems to have been rather sloppily recapped but does work.  As far as I can see, the only thing it needs is the clear window for the tuning dial.

Sorry I appended my posting to another instead of starting a new one.

DMV

Okay, I have the set home and inside now.  I don't have the main chassis out yet, but I did verify that the second detector is a 55 and it has the bass control on the back.  From the manuals I downloaded here and what you've said, it would seem to have been upgraded at the factory.

I believe the BFO is still there (at least, the tube and pitch control are there), but the front panel switch is empty and the hole plugged with a metal cap.

Somewhere here, I think I read that the BFO was sometimes equipped with a maintained-contact switch.  This sounds more useful for modern SSB reception than the push-button switch if the old one isn't under the chassis.  What type did they use?  I was thinking a Cole-Hersee push-pull switch with a metal knob would be suitable if an original can't be located.  I think that switch type might have even been contemporary to the Scott AW15.

Speaker looks to have possibly been reconed.  The frame has been repainted in bright aluminum paint.  The old wrinkle finish is still apparent underneath the aluminum.  I don't know for sure, but it seems awful "bright."  Should it be a different color?  None of my other Scotts have their original speakers, so I don't have anything to go on.  I'll get a reproduction decal.

Will get pix tomorrow.  What sort of ones would be most useful to you?

Dave Vincent

Silver paint is correct for all Scott speakers from 1932 to 1942 for various radio models.  So is wrinkle paint on the pedestal speaker for an AW-15. There were 3 versions of the speaker basket for the AW-15 speaker, some with wrinkle paint. The AW-15 speaker has two field coils - refer to any of the diagrams. 

The BFO button is non-metallic and operated a momentary contact for as long as the button is pushed. Strange the hole for the BFO button hole is plugged. Take a closer look, the correct button protrudes less than a quarter inch. It can stick in the hole, which is usually a brass ring in which the button rides.

Phantom remote control with S/N KK435. Original Los Angeles radio station tags on remote.

Thanks, new number there...

Kent, would you by chance have an approximate build date for this S/N?

Hi John, would you mind taking a picture of the ID plate below the main one, it's the one that says "...Armstrong Frequency Modulation...". Interestingly, my AM FM Philharmonic does not have that FM plate. Thanks, Karl

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service