EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

Three seconds is the most I can stand of hand on transformer after 3 hours at low volume.  I have left open  the circuit  between pins 4 and six of the speaker plug and have a field coil of 670 ohms between pins 2 and 4 because the transformer gets too hot to touch with it connected.  Voltages are normal with it connected, just slightly higher when open...6L6 K volts 23.6 open vs. 22.4 connected.

I can't get over the feeling there are some shorted turns in this transformer.

There is a good deal of zero volume hum which increases dramatically with the bass fully clockwise.

I pulled the 2nd AF amp tube and the hum became almost inaudible and the audio that came through while of very low volume was nice and clean.  I don't know if I should be able to hear any audio with this tube pulled or not......yes?...no?

In any event the source of the hum seems to be here...I jumped the grid and plate pins of  the 2nd AF socket with a .05uf  cap and the sound was full, rich sounding and capable of extreme loudness with very little hum.  It plays so well I am thinking of leaving the bypass in and the second 6J5 out!

Can someone offer an answer as to why this situation is happening and a solution?  Also a source for a replacement power transformer?

Thanks!  Happy New Year to Everyone!

sloane

Views: 54

Reply to This

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service