EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

I have these 4 rechromed chassis back together.  The second one from the right is completely done and working.  The one with the 4 original wet electrolytics (right most one) has had new Nichicon's installed inside them and just needs the wiring completed.  The one on the far left had mice go to town on all the wiring in combination with a butcher human working in there, so it will be all rewired from scratch.  The AW23 amp (second from left) required I put 2 amps together to make one nice one...

I am not going to finish wiring the remaining 3 at this moment.  These are going into wood crates I made for them.  I have too many other things going on right now but I just wanted to get these assembled and ready for electrical restoration which probably won't happen until I make my 600 mile move down to North Carolina sometime in the near future. 

You can click on the pictures to increase the size. 

Views: 71

Comment

You need to be a member of EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts to add comments!

Join EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

Comment by Scott Seickel on January 6, 2021 at 8:14am

Plating was done by Mara plating in Newark NJ, and another guy in Indian Trail NC.  I disassembled and dropped off.  The guy in NC was able to do some of the aluminum covers for coils and tubes, Mara plating failed at them.  This AW23 amp is going with one of my sets in a Warrington cabinet.  I might have an extra chassis to part with, I would have to look. 

Comment by Steve Pierce on January 5, 2021 at 11:31pm

Very nice. A couple of questions. Where or how did you get the chroming done .... and I have a restored AW23 amp with no stock power supply. Would you be interested in selling one. Thanks Steve

Comment by Robert Feenstra on December 29, 2020 at 8:52pm

Wow!  Looks great.

Comment by Scott Seickel on December 29, 2020 at 7:57pm

A few minutes on the buffer wheel and the aluminum capacitors were looking good. 

With these wet electrolytics you can pop the top off of them and pull out the guts.  I pulled out the center aluminum stud and replaced it with a piece of #12 copper house wire that had the positive lead of new capacitor soldered to it.  It fit in the old rubber gasket perfectly and looks original from the bottom. 

© 2021   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service