EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

HI everyone,

I've been working on Bruce's 800-B and have everything working great (including Norman's Bass mod) but I can't figure out what is wrong with the FM eye tube--I can't get any action on it (nor any negative voltage to the grid.)

I've recapped everything on both chasses, verified good connections between the chasses via Jack 4, and all resistors in the FM eye tube circuit are now in spec.

I did find the 2.2 meg and 27K resistors connected directly to the grid (pin 4) of the FM second limiter V17 (rather than as shown on the schematic) and so since the eye tube wasn't working, I rewired these resistors ahead of the 27 ohm resistor that is connected to the IF transformer (T6) (per the schematic) but still no voltage at the eye tube grid .  Also swapped the 2 6SJ7 tubes but no affect.

Anyone had this problem before? Other than this the set is working great.

Thanks,

Joe

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you checked the FM IF and limiter alignment?  FM radios have a characteristic of being able to pick up stations even if the alignment is way out of whack.  And if so, the eye tube will not respond.

Norman

Interesting,

No I haven't checked alignment.  I assumed it was fine since the FM came in so boldly.  I've never done an FM IF alignment.  Not sure what the IF frequency is on this set either.

Any tips on how to do it or any reference I can go look at?

Thanks Norman

I believe both Riders and Sams have FM alignment data provided by Scott Radio Laboratories.  Included is a method by which the IF can be aligned using a standard signal generator and VTVM rather than a sweep signal generator and oscilloscope.  I have found the alignment procedure using the standard signal generator to be fully adequate for this receiver.  All but one of the adjustments consists of adjusting for a peak at 10.7-mhz.  Adjustment of the discriminator is a little more complicated and requires some iteration but it works.

Norman

Norman,

I don't see where you attached the FM alignment method.

Joe

Joe...  Included in the alignment instructions within Riders or Sams service data.

Norman

10-4, Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Joe

Hello Joe:

I am working on my 800B and I have the same problem. Non negative voltaje on the grid of FM eye tube.

What was the solution in yours? Was it the alignment?

Thank you and kind regards,

José Bustos

Hi José,

It's been a while, but I believe I did do an alignment and used a better antenna.

Joe

Thank you Joe.

I will try an alignment.

Kind regards,

José

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service