EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

I downloaded some pictures of an 800B Chippendale door that goes in front of the radio tuner chassis of the 800B. It appears that there are two spring loaded ball-tipped latches that would engage a mating surface depression on either side. This would hold the door upright in its closed position. There is a hinge that appears to allow the door to be rotated down 90 degrees after the user pulls on the door handle. Does the door simply lie in the 90 degree down position, or does it shove back into the cabinet? Norman provided pictures of one version that has a pivoting lever under the radio tuner chassis that pushes it forward for easier access by the user. I believe he said that this was an early version which was replaced by a newer version with a different mechanical arrangement. What are the differences? How do the two versions work?

Joe

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most of the 800B consoles were set up with the door that would push the tuner chassis forward when the door was pushed into the cabinet.  Two incompatible glide arrangements were employed during the production of these cabinets.  Some of the very last cabinets were built and sold with fixed faceboards after John Meck purchased the company.

Norman

Norman;

Here are some pictures of what I see on the internet:

Can you tell which type of glide arrangement would work with this type door design? The most recent radio-tuner chassis I acquired has the 15 inch glide channels on its side plus the spring latches on either side at the front just behind the front wood panel. The U-shaped area that would fit underneath the radio tuner chassis looks like it might be designed to push against the wooden pivot lever you sent me a picture of.

Joe

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service