EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

I find this ebay item rather interesting - ebay item 231353077717.

Again confirms that Scott was a custom set builder, and that his radios evolve over the months within a model run.

It appears at first glance to be an nice amp for the 2-Dial model, but it isn't.

In my opinion: E H Scott power supply/amp circa mid-1932. Transitional example amp for the mid 1932 version Allwave Deluxe 12 tube (single dial model, but months prior to the Deluxe with AVC model.) Not many 1932 Scott Deluxe radios can use this amp without modification.

Observations:

Note: This amp has the 8 pin chassis Jones plug BUT with only 6 of the pins wired up per photo ... and 2 pins not wired and missing the terminal lugs too. In addition, the voltage divider is absent from the amp, having been relocated mid-run to the receiver sometime later in 1932, Therefore despite initial impression, it is not workable for the 1931 Scott -2-Dial. Nor is it workable for the early examples of the Deluxe sets, as many need all 8 pins wired up (like my own early Deluxe which still has the voltage divider in the amp and a 5 pin speaker socket.).

Next, note: Rather than the 5 pin speaker socket of the 2 -Dial and initial 1932 Deluxe series, this amp has the 6 pin speaker socket (riveted) for the twin speaker set introduced mid 1932. One of the two speaker field coils now provide the grid bias of the 45 tubes, instead of the low end of the voltage divider formerly located in the amp. By the late 1932 introduction of Wunderlick tube model with AVC, the receiver will have a 6 pin chassis plug, not 8 pin.

So, it is advisable to analysis what you have and what you need when buying E H Scott components.

Views: 60

Reply to This

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service