EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

Model 1510 AM FM Tuner - Speaker Connection?

Maybe someone here can please help me figure out the speaker connection? I have cleaned the knobs, polished and waxed the chassis to include power supply. Tubes tested and some metal ones substituted with glass equivalents. Everything looks very well kept. Minimal corrosion. Maybe one cap replaced in the power supply. I know a lot of members here only accept the older 'real' E H Scott models but for me this is close enough and not overly complex. I don't want shortwave. Anymore of a boat anchor combo and I would not be able to easily lift them. Thank you - Gary - retired / old vet with minimal technical audio skills.

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

IF it is a tuner, would it have speaker connection?

I believe you have one of the Liberty Music products after Scott Labs failed in the 1950's

Rather, a cable or RCA jack to connect to an amplifier?

I rarely see a tuner using a RCA or RCA's for speaker connections. I have only seen it on some old tube power amplifiers for consoles such as Magnavox or Motorola. This 1510 tuner chassis has a 120v power plug so it actually powers the power supply. Nothing on the power supply chassis that looks like a speaker connection. There are 2 output RCAs on the tuner, one indicates TV Sound and the other Phono. Maybe one is suited for a mono speaker. Few older speakers used RCA's that I know of but I do see them on Realistic MC1000 speakers and maybe some old KLH's that were used to connect with phonograph players. This 1952 tuner is pre Liberty Music - I know the difference.

The speaker connection is a two pin socket located to the right of the power cord.  The four pin connection next to the speaker connection is to power up a turntable.  The speaker socket is wired for a eight ohm speaker.

Thank you for that information. Too bad Scott did not identify those connections better to aid future novices. Also I'm guessing such a 2 pin socket connector is unobtanium. Perhaps the connection can be re-done for a more practical & traditional 2 screw connection?

"I have seen separate speaker pin connectors on field coil speakers but not for more recent ferrite & ceramic magnet speakers."

Robert Meader said:

The speaker connection is a two pin socket located to the right of the power cord.  The four pin connection next to the speaker connection is to power up a turntable.  The speaker socket is wired for a eight ohm speaker.

I suppose it would if it is a preamp tuner which it must be since the power supply is a stand alone power amp. Also, the connection to the amp is via a pinned socket with several wires connected to pins. A long connection for console application.

David C. Poland said:

IF it is a tuner, would it have speaker connection?

I believe you have one of the Liberty Music products after Scott Labs failed in the 1950's

Rather, a cable or RCA jack to connect to an amplifier?

I now see you put some photos on this site. The dial and controls appear to be a proper Scott Labs product. 

(The EH Scott Labs era ended when Mr Scott lost control of his company in 1944. Soon "E H" was dropped from name to just Scott Labs and new management ran the company into the ground by about 1950. MECK bought what's left of the company and subsequently went bankrupt.)

There is logic in having the power cord to the tuner for sake of the power switch on the tuner. You are looking for a modest sized amp probably with a rectifier and two output tubes and a cable with a plug fitting the tuner - and so your amp photo looks right with the rectifier and pair of 6L6-G output tubes. I count 14 tubes total.

The Scott 2nd edition guide page 82 says 14 tubes total for the 2 chassis model 1510 introduced 1952. But I suspect it is about the  same a  14 tube model 510 of 1950, also a 2 chassis model with about the same dial and control panel.

A pair of "banana plugs" may fit the speaker socket holes. Scott was using permanent magnet speakers by 1950, likely a coaxial 12 inch like a Jensen coax for his 1950 model. You should need to trace the circuit to see if the tweeter was separately wired.

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. Once the 120v power cord is replaced I'll try the banana plugs and sort out which one is ground and which is positive. This tuner's power supply amp is the heaviest I have ever seen or lifted, even others with 6L6 output tubes. Tube tuners during the 1950s sure went through a lot of design changes; the bulky console tuners with high fronts were soon replaced with sleeker more modern looking designs better suited for shelves. 6V6 and 6BQ5 power tubes became mainstream for many tube receivers and power amps. Perhaps Scott Labs lacked the means to make such a transition plus way too much competition from many mainstream manufacturers on the scene or near horizon such as HH Scott, Fisher, Sherwood and various kit makers. It seems Scott Labs had reached the end of its road by 1952 even without good management. Radio Craftsman, chrome plated chassis and all, met a similar fate with its bulky console tuners and tuner preamps. Harman Hardon, Pilot, Bell, Grommes and Bogen all moved on from their 'old fashioned' console orientations with sleeker designs and more affordable models, many that sold well.

Yep. Heavy with those big transformers.  

Kent has a Scott branded example of the Radio Craftsman tuner, offered as a companion to the Scott Lab phono console introduced in 1947 called the Scott MUSICALE, which incorporated the 4 tube H H Scott Dynamic Noise Supressor (DNS) circuit. The 28 tube Scott Metropolitan radio introduced 1947 all incorporated this DNS circuit. Later in 1949, H H Scott offered retail versions of the DNS in the 3 tube model 111 and 4 tube  model 112 which were powered off the tube socket of an output tube of a radio or audio amp.

This H H Scott DNS system was a further refined version of the 2 tube dynamic scratch suppressor circuit in the 30 tube Scott Philharmonic introduced 1937, which  circuit functioned to cut high frequencies only at low volume material when record scratch is noticeable. H H Scott (no relation the E H Scott) developed the circuit for radio stations to improve the quality of 78 records used in radio broadcasts. HH Scott's version DNS added low frequency volume reduction to deal with turntable rumble.

There were some "sleeker" Scott branded models put out towards the mid 1950's which turn up occasionally.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service