EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

Anyone dismantled one? It is assembled with 3 machine screws, but only 2 are tight on one I just acquired. ebay #151184888832. The 3rd screw does not tighten. The assemble is under tension so the back cover is pushed out and,so, the shaft is a bit askew as per the ebay item photos.

I hesitate to dismantle to inspect it in as much as it is under tension. Using a C-clamp to secure the cover, I have remover and inspected the 2 tight machine screws one at a time. One of the remaining screws is longer than the others including the loose screw.

Is this item a challenge to reassemble? Am i dealing with a pot metal problem?

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dave-I once took one apart that was sticking and was also crooked. It had a lot of small ball bearings that ran all over my tile floor. The springs were tricky too. I gathered up all the parts and put it back together and it turned out good as new.

Its actually a rather clever mechanism when working correctly.

Dave:  Yes, the housing is pot metal and the loose screw is probably due to stripped threads in the housing.  The springs are strong but short.  The best way to disassemble is to loosen each screw a little at a time while holding the parts together to avoid loss of ball bearings and springs.  Reassembly is straightforward as long as you do not try to tighten the screws one at a time (start all three screws and tighten each a little at a time).

Norman

Thanks for the additional information. Already have 3 of these on other radios. Might a well dismantle this problem 2 speed dial and get fully acquainted with the device. Suspect the solution is to obtain a longer screw. I already tried the longest of the current screws and it did bite in good threads, but seemed to bottom out before fully in. Think I'll try a clock repair shop for a slightly longer screw.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service