EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

Does anyone have a copy of an original 800B Sales Brochure ?

I recently sold my 800B but have my eye on another and want to see the cabinet options offered originally.

I have never seen one for sale or a copy online but they must have existed since more than 10,000 sets were sold.

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Bruce,

I ahave not seen a post war 800-B brochure. However, I am aware of 3 cabinets for the 800B, all in Jim Clark's guide:
Chippendale (18), Regency (62) & Modern (42).

The 800B restoration fI did for someone was in the Regency which is mahogany like the Chippendale. The Modern is the blond finish, styled somewhat like the Haywood-Wakefield furniture of the 1940's. You (and I) had the Chippendale in mahogany. I think it is Norman who has the ebony Chippendale with an Orientaln motif. He may know if that was "factory" option. Post war Scott magazine ads that appear on ebay sometimes include one cabinet or another of these three.

And also there is the 800-BT a Chippendale ((98) greatly reconfigured to hold the projection TV.

-Dave

I have an example of the most common 800B sales brochure and a fair quality color photocopy of one of two later 800B sales brochures.  The three cabinets identified in Jim Clark's book are featured in the most common brochure.  Other cabinets such as the Chinese Chippendale art cabinet and a walnut version of the Modern console (same as the radio featured in the Blondie and Dagwood episode "Blondie in the dough" - Google with care!) appear in one of the later brochures.  A third brochure that I do not have a copy of apparently features a Chinese Modern art cabinet and an Early American style cabinet.  My schedule is very busy this week but I will try to find time to scan and post the most common 800B brochure.

Norman

Thank you David and Norm.

The Modern in Blonde is the set I am looking at as its only 90 miles from me and seems to be rare. I was wondering if the Blonde finish is the 'Norm' (no pun intended ) for the Modern. I see mostly Chippendales, a few Regents, of which I had one and sometimes a face board in Blonde. I rather like the looks of the Modern although this one seems rusty and a bit beat up on the cabinet.

The Modern cabinet was more expensive, much heavier, and more likely to have been equipped with the Thorens CD-40 changer.  Other than the appearance in Blondie in the Dough, I have never seen or heard of one that was not the blonde finish.

Norman

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service