EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

I know this is a 1950's John Meck manufactured later model radio but I'm trying to build it up without the wood console. I know it originally had a Jansen speaker perhaps a coaxial unit. Any body have a
suggestion of what type of speaker would work the best for this radio?

Views: 746

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gord -

It really shouldn't be too hard to find an original (or close to original) speaker for a 510. However, another approach would be to get a choke or resistor to substitute for the field coil and then use a modern speaker pair. 510s turn up on ebay with some regularity, and you can probably get a parts one reasonably and salvage the speaker. I doubt I have anything in that era as an "extra"...maybe some of the other members can help.

Kent King said:

Gord -

It really shouldn't be too hard to find an original (or close to original) speaker for a 510. However, another approach would be to get a choke or resistor to substitute for the field coil and then use a modern speaker pair. 510s turn up on ebay with some regularity, and you can probably get a parts one reasonably and salvage the speaker. I doubt I have anything in that era as an "extra"...maybe some of the other members can help.

Gord Morrison said: Hi Kent. Thanks for the really good suggestions. My project is just in the assembly stage right now.

I just picked up a beautiful old speaker cabinet that is designed for a 15" speaker. With your suggestion in mind  of using 

a choke or resister instead of the field coil I'm going to try and find a 15"Jansen coaxial or perhaps something

similar on E-Bay. I have a great tech. for the adjustments required. Any other suggestions will always be

appreciated. Thanks again. G.

Kent King said:

Gord -

The 1950   Scott Lab (successor to E H Scott Labs)  14 tube two chassis model 510 AM/FM mono hi-fi   came with a 8 ohm Jensen coaxial 12 inch speaker. This was  permanent magnet coax speaker, no field coil.  I restored a complete 510  for someone a year or so ago.  See Riders vol 21 starting pg 11.

The similar 12 tube model 310 single chassis also uses an 8 ohm speaker, but was not a coax.

You ought to be able to use any 8 ohm  12 or 15 inch permanent magnet speaker for these models. These speakers do show up, and have a Scott decal.

-Dave

David C. Poland said:

The 1950   Scott Lab (successor to E H Scott Labs)  14 tube two chassis model 510 AM/FM mono hi-fi   came with a 8 ohm Jensen coaxial 12 inch speaker. This was  permanent magnet coax speaker, no field coil.  I restored a complete 510  for someone a year or so ago.  See Riders vol 21 starting pg 11.

The similar 12 tube model 310 single chassis also uses an 8 ohm speaker, but was not a coax.

You ought to be able to use any 8 ohm  12 or 15 inch permanent magnet speaker for these models. These speakers do show up, and have a Scott decal.

-Dave

Gord Morrison said:

Thanks for the great info. Dave. Really really helpful. I'm on the  up learning curve for sure. Cheers Amigo.

David C. Poland said:

-Dave

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service