EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

Currently restoring 4 McMurdo-Silver chrome plated chassis: two Masterpiece Vs and two 15-17s. Need a power supply/amplifier chassis for one Masterpiece V, and an original 15" speaker for same.  Would prefer an 18" Jensen pedestal speaker if one can be found. 

Have 2 cabinets to eventually sell, an Oxford and a Norwich. Would like to speak with someone about values for these cabinets, I know the Norwich is quite rare, it is the one with record player on top.  I have the record player and it works.

Would appreciate any help with this project, as I am a newbie as far as McMurdo-Silver is concerned.  I do own a Scott Allwave 23.

Views: 1170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Indeed.  That power supply appears to be a modified Scott model.  I am aware of others who have made reproduction McMurdo Silver speaker labels.  Apparently Kinkos can copy on foil.  The trick is to get the artwork from an original speaker.

Norman

Thanks for the confirmation, Norman. I was asking about the stickers as I *may* have found an 18 inch Jensen, which would need that sticker to look "correct." The speaker fields would also have to be rewound to match the requirements of the MP VI.

Ron:

The Jensen 18-inch speakers used in the early Masterpiece V receivers had the Jensen label.  The McMurdo Silver labels appeared mid-production of the Masterpiece V run.

Norman

Hey Guys, I needed to have a cracked McMurdo 15-17 dial scale fixed or replaced.  Sonny Clutter (the Radiola Guy) took on the project and has reproduced the dial scale.  Check it out here: 

http://www.radiolaguy.com/Manuals/Manuals_misc2.htm#M

I also needed a label for the back of my 18" Jensen so he created one: http://www.radiolaguy.com/RadioDials.htm#M

Tell Sonny I referred you and I get a "kick-back" :-)

Hey Ron, if you get the speaker and want to sell I'd be interested.  See latest post about the new speaker label available from the Radiola Guy.  Phil

Ron Ramirez said:

Thanks for the confirmation, Norman. I was asking about the stickers as I *may* have found an 18 inch Jensen, which would need that sticker to look "correct." The speaker fields would also have to be rewound to match the requirements of the MP VI.

Thanks for the link for the repro sticker.

Phil, I bought a nice Masterpiece VI with Clifton cabinet last July at Estes. It did not have the original 18 inch Super-Giant; instead, it had a 15 inch Scott Philharmonic speaker. So if I end up with that 18 inch Jensen, I need it to complete my set - sorry. If I don't end up with it, I've already made arrangements to use a modern 18 inch woofer with a tweeter mounted coaxially. Yes, I know, this may be considered sacrilege but I'm not going to pay $8K for a speaker.

Hi Ron, how well dos the 15" sound?  If good it may be an answer for me if you want to sell it.  If you use the modern speaker what are you going to do about the field coil being used as a filter choke?  I am certainly not going to pay $8K either.  Was happy to help with the stickers. 

Ron Ramirez said:

Thanks for the link for the repro sticker.

Phil, I bought a nice Masterpiece VI with Clifton cabinet last July at Estes. It did not have the original 18 inch Super-Giant; instead, it had a 15 inch Scott Philharmonic speaker. So if I end up with that 18 inch Jensen, I need it to complete my set - sorry. If I don't end up with it, I've already made arrangements to use a modern 18 inch woofer with a tweeter mounted coaxially. Yes, I know, this may be considered sacrilege but I'm not going to pay $8K for a speaker.

I don't know - my MP VI is currently not working, and I have not had time to work on it yet. I will be using the 15 inch Scott Philly speaker in another (Scott) project.

If I do end up using the modern speakers, I intend to use a power resistor in place of the 680 ohm series field, just like Scott did with later versions of the 800B. The series and shunt fields used with the MP V have different DC resistances than the series and shunt fields in the MP VI Super-Giant; I do not recall those resistances at present.

The MPV Super Giant I have has a 370 ohm series field and a 3400 ohm shunt field that goes to ground. 

Ron Ramirez said:

I don't know - my MP VI is currently not working, and I have not had time to work on it yet. I will be using the 15 inch Scott Philly speaker in another (Scott) project.

If I do end up using the modern speakers, I intend to use a power resistor in place of the 680 ohm series field, just like Scott did with later versions of the 800B. The series and shunt fields used with the MP V have different DC resistances than the series and shunt fields in the MP VI Super-Giant; I do not recall those resistances at present.

The MP VI Super Giant I now have has 684 ohm series field and 8150 ohm shunt field.

Phil - sorry, I just realized I never did thank you for that info as I have not been on here in awhile. That does agree with the notes I have here. I now have an 18 inch Jensen pedestal theater speaker with a 3150 ohm field. It looks just like the Super-Giant, only the pedestal is black hammertone instead of silver in color. I intend to have the field rewound to match those specs (680 ohm series, 8150 ohm shunt). I've found a chrome plating outfit in Nashville that does excellent work, so I can get my MP VI power supply chassis rechromed. So now, things should start coming together with my MP VI this winter.

Ron, is it Advanced Plating that you will be using?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service