EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

As most of you know, I've been gathering and analyzing Scott serial numbers for over 20 years. I have a couple requests....first, if you haven't sent me your serial numbers, please do. Also...if any of you have a confirmed date for a set/serial number, please send me that. There is a warranty tag on ebay at the moment, these are great, since they have the date and serial number on them. A letter with a date is also good confirmation. I would greatly appreciate any info you fellows can provide. I'll post more about serial numbers here in the future.

Kent

Views: 15622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Scott,

Many thanks for your reply.

My email address is hogknight47@gmail.com.

I would really appreciate the circuit diagram with the component list with all the values of the resistors

and capacitors.

Best regards,

Stephan

Scott Seickel said:

Stephan,

The F prefix would be an early serial number, The LL is almost certainly a later 1937 or early 1938 set.  The early dial pointers had a different serial number plate than the later ones.  It is not as tall and had a single letter prefix.  Kent might have more info on your sets. 

Send me a friend request on this forum so I can email you a quality schematic for your sets.  You can't send messages here until you become "friends". 

Scott

Stephan Samourkas said:

Hi Kent,

I have two Scott Philharmonic Pointer Dial from 1937.

One has serial no.: LL-34 and the other F-786.

If you can find any information on those numbers I would be most grateful.

Also, the one with no. LL-34, I think it is an early 1937. It has a large brown wire wound resistor mounted at one of the corners on the bottom side of the tuner. 

I need a circuit diagram for this tuner but I can't find it in the archive at this site.

Do you have a circuit diagram for this model that you can mail me ?

I also need a component list which specify the values of all the capacitors and resistors.

It usually is stated on the circuit diagram.

Best regards,

Stephan Samourkas from Sweden

P.S. You helped me changing my email address on this site som time ago. D.S.

Kent,  there's currently an AW23 at Donley auctions,  Serial# C-500.

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/e-h-scott-radio-receiver-and...

-Rodney

Thanks, I had it...interesting set, someone modified it for a modern speaker.

Kent

palegreenthumb said:

Kent,  there's currently an AW23 at Donley auctions,  Serial# C-500.

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/e-h-scott-radio-receiver-and...

-Rodney

Scott,

Interesting...I was unaware of that regarding the Serial Numbers.

Bradley

Scott Seickel said:

Thanks.  In the AA sequence by 235 they became beam of light sets.  I have been tracking what version of the Philharmonic goes with each serial number.   In some prefix sequences it goes backwards so you can't even get a definitive timeline.   

Bradley Cobb said:

Scott,

Serial number AA-230 is a pointer.

Bradley

Scott Seickel said:

Bradley, is that AA-230 a 9 knob dial pointer or a beam of light?

Hi Kent,

The serial number on my Tasman AW23 - 7 is W-621. This is also written on the inside of the bottom cover of the receiver in pencil with the date 3/16/38. You probably know better than I if this is the manufacture date. My guess is that it is.

I started looking after this radio in 1968 for the wife of the original purchaser, Pat Patterson, after he passed away. She gave it to me in about 1972 just before I started college. It worked well for a few years but has mostly been stored or used for furniture since then. At one point, about 20 years ago, I found the time to re-cap most of the amplifier and got it working but the receiver was no longer working. Finding your site gave me the incentive to start the restoration. Thanks.

With the initials beside it, and the 1938 date, my best guess would be it was returned to the factory for an in warranty repair. They would reseal the chassis, so that was probably the last time to bottom cover was off. Did the set have a 2inch strip of brown paper wrapped around a tube shield or can on top? While many folks removed them when they got the set back, I have seen <many> sets with the brown paper, it is where they wrote the customer name and sometimes a work order number on the set when it was returned. It is <possible> it is a build date, but I very much doubt it. I have no date reference in the W series, but sets in the adjacent prefixes are all in 1936. A couple years for a service call isn't unexpected.

Thanks Kent. No brown paper. I would have had the bottom cover off several times since 1938. 

As I continue my restoration I find a capacitor that I don't see on any of the AW23 chassis pictures. I have not found it on the schematics either. In any case I enclose a picture of the part which has a date stamp on it that is a bit hard to see in the photo but clearly says 1937 when viewed in person. Could be a modification that was added post manufacture or is support for a 1938 manufacture date. Thoughts?

The date stamp is likely a factory inspection date before shipment.  That would make your set a very late manufacture AW-23.  Can you post a photo showing more of the chassis where the capacitor is located?  That will help us identify its purpose and location in the schematic.

Norman

But your set is a Philharmonic?  It may be better to ask questions like this in a new thread.  The prior discussion here was about an AW-23.  Ideally all discussion in this thread should be related to serial number only.  Other discussions deserve a new or other continuing thread.  The capacitor is likely part of the bass boost circuit.

Norman

Norman S Braithwaite said:

The date stamp is likely a factory inspection date before shipment.  That would make your set a very late manufacture AW-23.  Can you post a photo showing more of the chassis where the capacitor is located?  That will help us identify its purpose and location in the schematic.

Norman

I expected that having two members with the same name would cause confusion at some point. I am a new member with an AW-23 7 knob SN W-621 in a Tasman cabinet. I believe that the Philharmonic belongs to an older member, now deceased, with the same name. The dated capacitor was included in this thread as it might be helpful in establishing the serial number date. I have some other capacitor questions that would be better served by a different thread. I will post a more complete picture and additional questions there.

John S 

Kent,

Would you have AA235 in your database?  It is a Philharmonic.  Thanks much!

Forrest

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service