EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

As most of you know, I've been gathering and analyzing Scott serial numbers for over 20 years. I have a couple requests....first, if you haven't sent me your serial numbers, please do. Also...if any of you have a confirmed date for a set/serial number, please send me that. There is a warranty tag on ebay at the moment, these are great, since they have the date and serial number on them. A letter with a date is also good confirmation. I would greatly appreciate any info you fellows can provide. I'll post more about serial numbers here in the future.

Kent

Views: 12157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Eric -
Thanks....believe it or not, I had all of these in my list already, including the date on the GG set. I do appreciate everyone's help with this, I will try to get an article and information together sometime soon.

Kent


Eric Perkins said:
I have 3 Sixteens: 1) HH 13. 2) CC 173, in Acousticraft cabinet. 3) GG 153, stored in its original Scott boxes, Shipped by rail 12-20-37 to Mrs. Charles D. MacDonald, Bradford VT.
OK, I finally made a trip to my shop and got most of the numbers on my Scotts. Here goes...

Laureate: S# WW-254
Laureate: S# XX-277
Phantom Deluxe 1941 NO FM: S# DD-352
AW-23: S# Z-546
AW-23: S# A-724
AW-12 Deluxe: H-55
AW-12 Deluxe: C-187

I have one more AW-15, but it is still in its shipping box! I'll get that number later.

Still looking for my first Philly...

...ted
Ted -

Thanks....about half of these were new numbers for my records. All fit within expected groups of sets in their prefix. This helps to confirm the existing analysis and the projected production numbers. Hopefully this winter I will be able to update one of my previous articles and publish some info here...

Kent


Ted Coombes said:
OK, I finally made a trip to my shop and got most of the numbers on my Scotts. Here goes...

Laureate: S# WW-254
Laureate: S# XX-277
Phantom Deluxe 1941 NO FM: S# DD-352
AW-23: S# Z-546
AW-23: S# A-724
AW-12 Deluxe: H-55
AW-12 Deluxe: C-187

I have one more AW-15, but it is still in its shipping box! I'll get that number later.

Still looking for my first Philly...

...ted
Thanks Kent for your dedication to the serial number project. I look forward to any upcoming articles you write.


Kent King said:
Ted -

Thanks....about half of these were new numbers for my records. All fit within expected groups of sets in their prefix. This helps to confirm the existing analysis and the projected production numbers. Hopefully this winter I will be able to update one of my previous articles and publish some info here...

Kent


Ted Coombes said:
OK, I finally made a trip to my shop and got most of the numbers on my Scotts. Here goes...

Laureate: S# WW-254
Laureate: S# XX-277
Phantom Deluxe 1941 NO FM: S# DD-352
AW-23: S# Z-546
AW-23: S# A-724
AW-12 Deluxe: H-55
AW-12 Deluxe: C-187

I have one more AW-15, but it is still in its shipping box! I'll get that number later.

Still looking for my first Philly...

...ted
There is a Sixteen that just came up on E-bay. Looks like serial number is HH-83.

Scott
I have a 23 tube All Wave Imperial in a Windsor cabinet serial number L-631. Have had the radio since 1960 when I was 13 years old. I found it in a Farmer's Union Co-op gas station and traded a 5 tube table radio for it. The radio had originally belonged to the brother of the gas station manager. The brother had worked for Scott and the radio was a retirement gift. When the guy died the radio came to North Dakota and sat in the gas station closet for many years. I stopped into the station to warm up on my way to school, saw the radio and noticed it had short wave bands. I asked what they were going to do with it and they wanted a radio to play in the station; the Scott was so big they didn't know where to put it so I offered the trade and they accepted. Some pics at:

http://curtspics1.shutterfly.com/
What a cool story and great way to get a Scott...Angelo : )
I have another Scott story. In 1974 a friend of mine in Minneapolis wanted to find a Scott; I eventually found him a 1941 Philharmonic at a Salvation Army store for $150 so he bought it. The high frequency speakers were missing. As we were cleaning it up we found a letter tucked under the receiver chassis; the letter was from Scott apologizing for the damage to the speakers and said replacements would be shipped ASAP. The date on the letter was 6 December 1941, Pearl Harbor was attacked the next day and I guess he never got the replacements. I moved away from Minneapolis in 1975 and lost contact with my friend,, unfortunately he passed away some years later and I don't know whatever happened to the radio.


Curtis Schweitzer said:
The high frequency speakers were missing. As we were cleaning it up we found a letter tucked under the receiver chassis; the letter was from Scott apologizing for the damage to the speakers and said replacements would be shipped ASAP. The date on the letter was 6 December 1941

Wow. Great story.
I'll bet that radio is the only one that is worth more with the speakers missing.
What a great piece of history.


Scott Seickel said:


Curtis Schweitzer said:
The high frequency speakers were missing. As we were cleaning it up we found a letter tucked under the receiver chassis; the letter was from Scott apologizing for the damage to the speakers and said replacements would be shipped ASAP. The date on the letter was 6 December 1941

Wow. Great story.
I'll bet that radio is the only one that is worth more with the speakers missing.
What a great piece of history.

In looking at the various pictures on here it looks like the tuning knob on my AW 23 is a little different from most. Mine has a fine tuning capability; there is a lever under the knob that locks into slots on the back of the two piece knob. The metal back half of the knob has a gear reduction in it which when locked gives the wood front half of the knob fine control. Is this unusual?
This is the optional "speed tuning" assembly. In my experience, these are found on about 25% of the AW23 sets. It is a nice tuning arrangement, allowing very fine adjustment for tuning, especially on short wave.

Kent



Curtis Schweitzer said:


Scott Seickel said:


Curtis Schweitzer said:
The high frequency speakers were missing. As we were cleaning it up we found a letter tucked under the receiver chassis; the letter was from Scott apologizing for the damage to the speakers and said replacements would be shipped ASAP. The date on the letter was 6 December 1941

Wow. Great story.
I'll bet that radio is the only one that is worth more with the speakers missing.
What a great piece of history.

In looking at the various pictures on here it looks like the tuning knob on my AW 23 is a little different from most. Mine has a fine tuning capability; there is a lever under the knob that locks into slots on the back of the two piece knob. The metal back half of the knob has a gear reduction in it which when locked gives the wood front half of the knob fine control. Is this unusual?
Back in 1978 i saw a big radio on a porch getting wet.Came back the next day bought it for $78.00 and loaded it in my Pinto hachback ..Got it out of the car and inside..Was cleaning it when i saw what i had was a E H Scott Phillharmonic 30! The cabinets a Waverly Grand ,mising the tweeters and turntable..On bottom of the reciever in pencil is a date of Dec 1937! Photo of the set is posted on this site! Set still plays great But is due for a recap soon! Angelo : )

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service