EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts

The Fine Things are Always Hand Made

As most of you know, I've been gathering and analyzing Scott serial numbers for over 20 years. I have a couple requests....first, if you haven't sent me your serial numbers, please do. Also...if any of you have a confirmed date for a set/serial number, please send me that. There is a warranty tag on ebay at the moment, these are great, since they have the date and serial number on them. A letter with a date is also good confirmation. I would greatly appreciate any info you fellows can provide. I'll post more about serial numbers here in the future.

Kent

Views: 15615

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very interesting Norman. I am thinking this set is of late production with the serial number prefix "W". My other  My other AW12 has a prefix of "R" which Kent indicated coincided with the purchase date of January 1934 written inside the chassis. The cartridge doesn't seem to be working, and the tone arm would track very lightly. Hopefully I can get it working. I was considering replacing the phonograph with a Victor Electrola, but I might hold off on that.

Kevin

I am new here and have a lot to read but I thought I would add my serial number from my AW-23 which is Y-278. I haven't had a chance to take it out of the trunk yet much less clean it but it is in nice shape and has all its covers. I intend to go back to where I dug it out of to see if I can locate the amp and a speaker.

Very nice chassis...I would definitely look for a tuner and/or speaker, hopefully you can find at least one of them. Maybe there is a cabinet hiding there too?

That is a new serial number, thanks! Please let us know if you need anything. I have many parts chassis here to pull from if you need something odd.

Kent

I went back and dug for 2 hours and could not find any this else relating to the unit. I was a mess! The good news is the chassis cleaned up easily with only minor corrosion on one corner. There were hand written notes in pencil on the base covers which a assume were service realted in 1948 and again in 1976. It looks like 1976 is when it was put out to pasture. The tuning gear drive is in place but the 4 coils that should be under the second cover are missing. I bought it so that it wouldn't end up in the recycle pile where I am afraid a lot of other stuff is going to end up... Is this unit an Imperial AW-23? There are two notes stating Imperial and I don't know other than name any difference between the AW-23s. I think the Imperial name was already taken and EH Scott had to change the name and just went with the AW? The controls also don't match the user manuals I found on line. I appreciate the offer for parts. After I get done admiring it I will try and find a good home for it.

Kent King said:

Very nice chassis...I would definitely look for a tuner and/or speaker, hopefully you can find at least one of them. Maybe there is a cabinet hiding there too?

That is a new serial number, thanks! Please let us know if you need anything. I have many parts chassis here to pull from if you need something odd.

Kent

Great find. I have serial # K486 listening now to WSM. and J497 which is the chassis only. I rebuilt both.  All of the service information is in the files listed on this web site. 

It’s awesome that you all are keeping the flame burning on these units.

Bill  - you have the 1st version AW-23, referred to as the 5 knob model. Introduced Spring 1935 and produced to the end of 1935. Scott initially named it the Imperial, but stopped when discovered another radio using that name.

The first model revision was about January 1936, when 2 additional controls appeared, hence referred to as the 7 knob version produced 1936 and 1937.

One of the new controls was a radio/phono switch. The other was just the relocation of the BFO button below the tuning knob of your receiver to a separate control to maintain a symmetrical look to the controls.

Your early 5 knob AW-23 lacks a radio/phono switch. Instead your phono post on the left rear is in the grid circuit of the 1st audio tube. Your phono post should have a jumper wire to the adjacent ground post for the radio to play properly until such time, if ever, that you use a phonograph, FM tuner, etc. This also means, what ever you use (phono, FM tuner...) needs its own volume control. 

So, in the above site Info Archive, select Set Folders, then Allwave 23, and finally 5 Knob High Fidelity for the 22 page instruction manual.

Also, in the set folder, read the magazine article titled: New 23 Tube Receiver ...

You have a start on a great sounding radio if you locate a a power supply and speaker. A lot of similar looking 6 tube Scott amps - you need the one using four 2A3 output tubes and two rectifiers (5Z3 & 83V). Tube numbers are embossed on the tube sockets. The receiver will require extensive replacement of all the old paper caps - most are .1 mfd at 400 volt. But factory recommendation is to replace all the .1 caps with .05 at 600 volt, so the modern 630 volt film .05 caps are a good replacement.

Good luck.

Bill,

WOW! Did that ever clean up nicely! What did you use?

Thanks, it turned out pretty nice. I used a Wurth product called Rost Off as a solvent to remove greasy residue followed up by Wurth’s glass cleaner to get organic goo off then a quick rub with Never-Dull and polish with a microfiber cloth.
David, thanks for the great info I will check out the files soon. Your info definitely helps shed light on what version it is. In appreciate it!

I just picked up an all wave 15 with serial Q 343.

Hi Kent,

5 knob AW 23 bought from a collectors estate so you may already have these numbers:

Receiver Y434

Amplifier Y375

Vol Expander B447 (not sure if it makes a difference but, there are no holes (vents?) in the cover)

-Tony

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kent King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service