The Fine Things are Always Hand Made
First one or two pages are here, see the first part of this post, scan. Your website made me break it down into two posts.
FYI - years ago, I repo'd the double di-pole version antenna used with the outboard antenna switch - of 1934-6.
Used for several years with decent results. Boxed up now.
That is some great stuff Todd. Thanks for posting it.
Kent, is this going into the archives?
Just came across a Scott News Volume 12 Number 4 will try to see if I can open it flat to scan all of the pages. Will scan to jpeg and see if I can get all of the pages together?
Todd - All the known Scott News are scanned in and in the archive.
Scott - I have a lot of items I have scanned but not yet organized into the archive. I want everything as searchable PDF files, so that we can do text searches for things. I can convert image files into a searchable PDF as well. I'll see what I can do about getting more of this stuff up in the archive. My folder of letters and correspondence alone is over 1/2 gig....storage is an issue.
Thank you, then won't worry about scanning. Talk soon.
Does anyone know if any of these Super Double Doublet antennas still exist?
This is good to know. Looking at the schematic for one of these, it could be interesting to try and make a replica, if the parts values are known. From your photos, it looks like 2 different types of wire were used for the antenna itself. The lead in is twisted pair rubber covered? For my Allwave 23, I have a 50 foot long wire on the roof in a V pattern with coax to the radio. Not ideal, but it works. Chassis J497 is getting close to finished. Still need to trace three wires to confirm where they go. Then build a power supply.
Kent King said:
I made a repo of the first version Super Antenna many years ago. The version used in conjunction with the outboard antenna switch mounted on a rear tube shield. I decided against the later kits Kent pictured because each included a transformer of unknown contents hanging at the nexus of the antenna wires.
I used multi strand copper antenna wire kits from two Radio Shack long wire kits to get the two needed 45.5 inch lengths, but allowing extra foot for wrapping ends through the glass insulators. Each kit also included a lead in wire which was much like ordinary multi strand bell wire. I twisted the two lead in wires to make the transmission line of 110 feet as stipulated. I followed the antenna dimensions exactly and made the antenna center insulator with non conductive material and used four glass insulators for the antenna ends.
The rear tube shield mounted antenna switch has 2 positions: Broadcast/Police band and the SW bands. But I wanted to use the double di-pole antenna on several radios. I cut the 110' transmission at 60' and soldered in a 2 pole 6 position rotary wafer switch. Then ran 50 feet twisted lengths on to my Philharmonic and another Scott with two antenna terminals. The later Scotts with two antenna terminals have internal switching so the outboard antenna switch is unneeded. But for my AW-15 and AW-12 and Zenith 12-A-58, I did use the outboard switches. For the 6th pair of wires, I fed two other radios with no antenna switch.